History
 YL Ranch
Wyoming's Historic Dude & Guest Ranch
 

 

 

JUST west of the Continental Divide, in the foothills of Wyomings Sierra Madre Mountains, there is a valley that combines sagebrush meadows and aspen groves with stands of cottonwood trees and open fields of alfalfa. In 1905, John and Mary Boyer settled at the north end of the valley. With their eight children, the Boyers built the YL Ranch, a horse and sheep ranch that at one time had more that 30,000 sheep on thousands of acres of land. In 1926, the Boyer Family built three log cabins under the cottonwoods by the Main Ranch House and opened one of Wyomings first guest ranches. Over the next fifty years, the YL Ranch became a destination for families from New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles who wanted more than a vacation.  These families wanted to live for a week, for a month, sometimes even for a summer in the heart of the American West.

 

The YL Ranch is one of those places where the West is more than a memory. Herds of antelope still graze in the meadows, flocks of magpies still talk to each other in the cottonwoods along Savery Creek, and the three log cabins by the Main Ranch House are still open to the kind of guests who want more than just another Western vacation. The Ranch is part of the real West. Essential things like breathing the fresh air, eating a home cooked meal or riding a horse up the Savery are the main attractions here. Guests say they sleep better at the Ranch than they do at home, and thats understandable. The Ranch is a fine place to accomplish things. You could spend years fishing, swimming, riding and exploring the Savery Valley. But at the end of the day, when the birds stop singing and about two million stars come out, walking into your cabin and falling asleep by the fire can also seem like a big accomplishment.

 

 

Home      Continue

 

Home   About Us   History   Main House   Barn & Cabins   Summer Activities   Winter Activities   Workshops   Albums   Maps   Contact Us